Thursday, December 5, 2013

5:42 AM

Former Chadema Deputy Secretary General Zitto Kabwe has vowed not to leave the party and instead will defend himself once informed officially about being stripped of his leadership positions.

Zitto’s statement comes after Chadema’s Central Committee stripped him, Dr Kitila Mkumbo and the party’s Arusha Regional Chairman, Samson Mwigamba, of all their leadership positions in the party.


Speaking to journalists in Dar es Salaam yesterday Zitto who is also Kigoma North Member of Parliament said he is a committed party member and will never be a cause for the disintegration of the party.


“I am not thinking about quitting Chadema. Those who want to expel me let them do it on their own…I have been serving this party since I was 16 years old …It hurt when I am accused of things which I have not committed,” he said.


Zitto said the allegations revealed to the media by Chadema CC were quite different from the allegations which have been raised in various party meetings and by some fellow leaders.


He said the Chadema CC accused him of defaming the party through the PAC statement he issued on political parties whose accounts have not been audited by the Controller and Auditor General (CAG) “including Chadema.


“I am told that as Deputy Secretary General of the party I was supposed to communicate with my leaders to “tip” them so that they would prepare for the exercise,” he said.


According to the principles of good governance he was not supposed to use his position as PAC Chairman to favour his party at the expense of other parties.


Zitto also said that it has been alleged that he did not participate in the party’s operations, explaining that he has been taking part in such operations within and outside the country. He cited the operation conducted in 2011.


“All these allegations levelled against me are not true. I would like to tell the Chadema followers and democrats across the country that I am still a loyal member of the party and I will be the last person to quit. I will always stand for democracy,” insisted Zitto.


According to him, Chadema is the party that moulded him politically; so what is going on within his party is the fight to consolidate democracy as well as the battle for accountability and abuses.


For his part, ex-member of Chadema’s Central Committee Dr Kitila Mkumbo admitted that he participated in preparing and editing the document laying out the strategy for bringing changes in the party. He said he is one of the party members who believe that there was need to change the top party leadership in the coming Chadema elections.


The document was described by Central Committee members as having violated the party’s constitution, but my intention was to push for change expected by Tanzanians.


 “I have never, and I don’t expect to participate in any plans to sabotage my party and the movement for change in the country. I apologise for causing inconvenience to my party leaders in my push for leadership changes through democratic ways”, he said.

He added: “I am ready to follow all the directives issued by the Party’s CC and in accordance with our constitution and I will fully participate to normalise the political situation in the party in order to ensure that we remain strong and Chadema continues to gain public trust,” said Dr Mkumbo.


Reports from Kigoma yesterday said that the youths in the region threatened to demonstrate after learning that Chadema CC has stripped the MP of all his leadership positions.


Chadema Elders Council Chairperson Nenge Bakari said that Chadema followers were shocked by the news and wanted to protest against the party’s decision but were calmed by the elders.


He said the speech given yesterday by Zitto has calmed them. Efforts to reach Kigoma Regional Police Commander continue.

0 comments:

Post a Comment